Early Birthday Cheer

As much as I love all things analogue, I am so excited to officially own my very first dSLR camera. The last digital camera I bought was roughly 10 years ago when 4 megapixels was considered cutting edge, and although I may love my Pentax's complete inability to take night shots now (Accidental Bokeh is my favourite photo from Paris!) - it drove me CRAZY at the time. I wasn't a fan of imperfection in my photography. Le gasp, I'd never even heard of bokeh!

[Accidental Bokeh, Paris 2003]

The last 12 months, as difficult as they have been, have sparked a renewed passion for photography within me that I intend to grasp with both hands.

Whilst packing up and leaving Sydney, I came across a beautiful photograph taken by my high school design teacher. On the back, she had simply written "Please keep taking photos." To be reminded of that support from somone I admired so much was bittersweet, particularly when I barely had the energy to get out of bed, let alone head out the door with a camera.

[Beacon, Paris 2003]

As the months went by and I slowly started to explore my new surrounds, I took snapshots with my beaten up old iPhone and sent them to a good friend who also happens to be an insanely talented photographer. His support and advice was eerily familiar; "Get a proper camera. Now. Keep taking photos."

So at last, a pre-loved Nikon D3100 is on his way to me; an amazing birthday present thanks to my wonderful best friend and my equally wonderful parents...the very same trio who have made sure that somehow, against all odds, I've made it through the most difficult year of my life in one piece. 

With the help of friends and mentors, both old and new, I'm looking forward to taking photos once more.


xx Kit