Feeling a Little Sketchy

As much as I love the straight lines and right angles of relentless Modernism, there's a time and a place for sketchy, imperfect interiors, and it appears that the time is now. I mean 'now' loosely of course, as we've been seeing some delightfully squiggly designs for the last few years, particularly from those crazy lighting kids.


Thout launched their Scribble Lamp back in 2007, crafting a sketchy statement piece out of little more than extended electrical cord, a bit of steel and a whole lot of love.


These quirky little neon lights from Covello Reesor also get an honourable mention, and though they appeared on the scene only a little after the Thout designs, they sadly appear to have disappeared in the meantime. Anyone who happened to snap up any of these lights from the Toronto-based designers have a piece of sketchy history in their happy little hands!


Luckily for us, the scribble is currently undergoing a resurgence of sorts! Classic Marimekko designs are being reborn as wallpaper thanks to a collaboration with Italian company Sirpi, and my favourite is undoubtedly the floral/pinwheel sketchy hybrid goodness of Joonas, designed by the iconic Maija Isola.


A close second is Harri Koskinen’s Frekvenssi design - slightly skewed, sketchy straight lines? Be still my beating heart! If they somehow find a way to convert Miaja Louekari's 'Moments' design into wallpaper, my life will be complete...


Well, right after I get this Black on White Rug. Designed by Javier Mariscal for nanimarquina, it's like a Persian rug, but cool. Not that I have anything against Persian rugs* mind you.


There's never been a better time to be completely inept with a ruler - it's my time to shine!


*Okay that's a lie, I have a strange aversion to them and you usually couldn't pay me all the money in the world to let one into my house. It's nothing personal, Mr. Persian Rug. Really, it's not you, it's me.



3 comments:

thatgirlblogs said...

squiggles make me happy. and I want that rug.

Unknown said...

ohhhh! hooray for the sketchy. like the scribble lamp.

CL said...

I don't like Persian rugs either, but that rug is awesome!