The Road Less Travelled Pt 3

"We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time."


--T.S. Eliot (1888-1965)
Some roads are a little more travelled than others. I lived in the same house for over 20 years. I had two decades to explore my suburb and surrounds, but familiarity breeds contempt, and I quickly forgot what a beautiful part of the world I grew up in.

Despite my current status as a categorically non-outdoors person, I vaguely recall once enjoying natural light and fresh air. I used to ride my bike everywhere. Initially I was only allowed to ride up and down my tiny little street, but eventually I became more daring, and by the end of my outdoor era, I was exploring all the surrounding areas within a 5km radius, possibly more. All the areas that had a bike track, anyway.


Last weekend, I took my partner on my usual route and showed him all the hidden creek side nooks where I used to rest and contemplate (I was a pensive child). He was not only in awe of the concept of me doing voluntary exercise, but of the beauty of a suburb that is actually incredibly close to what some may loosely term a city.

All this from a girl who made it 20kms out of Sydney, wound down the window and exclaimed "I smell nature!" I think I might even be ready to begin exploring Sydney in earnest.

3 comments:

diamondsinchampagne said...

Omg those etsy toys are sooo cute.
I think I am going to buy some.

Ms Unreliable said...

I love them too, I keep telling myself I'll buy them for my little cousins for Christmas, but I'm fairly sure I'd end up keeping them all!

diamondsinchampagne said...

Omg me 2!
They are so expensive when they are converted to AUD... it's so disappointing